If you’re looking for a unique and authentic souvenir to bring back from your travels in Istanbul, a Turkish rug or carpet is an excellent choice. Istanbul is home to numerous carpet stores, ranging from traditional to modern, each offering a wide variety of styles, colors, and materials. In this article, we’ll explore the best places to buy carpets in Istanbul and provide you with everything you need to know to find the perfect rug.
Rug Shops at Grand Bazaar Area
The Grand Bazaar is, without a doubt, the paramount destination for discerning collectors and casual admirers alike. It is here that one can truly immerse oneself in the mesmerizing world of Istanbul carpets. From sumptuous silk masterpieces to hardwearing woolen wonders, these vibrant creations are a testament to the indelible spirit and ingenuity of their creators. As we meander through this bustling microcosm of trade and commerce, the spellbinding beauty of the Istanbul carpets never fails to captivate and inspire.
Troy Rug Store
Located near Blue Mosque, Troy Rug Store is a must-visit for anyone looking for high-quality, handmade carpets. The store specializes in traditional Turkish designs, including Ottoman, Kilim, and Suzani patterns. Troy Rug Store is known for its exceptional customer service and reasonable prices.
Adnan & Hasan
Adnan & Hasan is a family-run carpet store located in Grand Bazaar. The shop has been in business for over 40 years and offers a wide range of carpets, from antique to modern. Adnan & Hasan prides itself on providing customers with a personalized shopping experience and a vast selection of rugs at affordable prices.
Vezirhan Carpet & Kilim
For over a century, Vezirhan Carpet & Kilim has been one of Istanbul’s most renowned carpet stores. The shop features an extensive collection of hand-woven rugs, carpets, and kilims. Vezirhan Carpet & Kilim is known for its unique designs, excellent quality, and competitive prices.
Punto Carpet is a modern carpet shop that offers a wide range of contemporary carpets, from geometric patterns to bold, bright colors. Punto Carpet is a favorite among Istanbul’s younger, fashion-conscious crowd.
Experience Traditional Shopping in Istanbul with Guide
Hakan Evin Rug Store
Hakan Evin Rug Store is a boutique rug store located in Grand Bazaar. The shop specializes in vintage, one-of-a-kind carpets and kilims from Turkey, Persia, and the Caucasus. Hakan Evin Rug Store is known for its exceptional quality and knowledgeable staff.
Dhoku is a modern carpet store that offers a wide range of contemporary designs. The shop’s carpets and kilims are all hand-woven in Turkey and feature bold, colorful designs that are perfect for modern homes.
Find more gift ideas rom Istanbul >>
Bellihan Rugs is a luxury rug store that specializes in premium, one-of-a-kind carpets and kilims, including antique and vintage pieces. Bellihan Rugs is known for its exceptional quality and personalized service.
Alfombras De Estambul
Alfombras De Estambul is a family-run carpet store located in the heart of Sultanahmet. The shop specializes in handmade carpets and kilims from Turkey and other countries in the region. Alfombras De Estambul is known for its vast selection of carpets, friendly staff, and reasonable prices.
Sisko Osman Carpet & Kilim
Sisko Osman Carpet & Kilim is a carpet store that specializes in traditional Turkish carpets, including Kilim, Ottoman, and Usak patterns. Sisko Osman Carpet & Kilim is known for its excellent quality and competitive prices.
Located in Sultanahmet neighborhood, Nakkaş Rugs is a carpet store that offers a wide range of designs including antiques. The shop’s carpets and kilims are all hand-woven in Turkey and feature unique, eye-catching designs. Nakkaş Rugs is known for its personalized service and high-quality products.
Empress Istanbul Turkish Rugs
Empress Istanbul Turkish Rugs is a carpet store located in the heart of the Old City. The shop specializes in traditional Turkish carpets and kilims, including unique and rare antique pieces. Empress Istanbul Turkish Rugs is known for its excellent quality and knowledgeable staff.
SUFi Rugs, Kilim & Handcraft
SUFi Rugs, Kilim & Handcraft is a carpet store that specializes in handmade carpets and kilims, as well as other traditional handcrafted items. SUFi Rugs, Kilim & Handcraft is known for its unique and beautiful designs, excellent quality, and fair prices.
Explore the Bazaars and History of Istanbul with Guides
World Of Carpets by Mustafa
World Of Carpets by Mustafa is a modern carpet store located near Blue Mosque. The shop offers a wide range of contemporary carpets, including hand-woven Turkish and Persian designs. World Of Carpets by Mustafa is known for its excellent quality and affordable prices.
Anatolian Carpet & Bag
Anatolian Carpet & Bag is a carpet store that specializes in traditional Turkish carpets and bags, including Kilim, Ottoman, and Usak patterns. Anatolian Carpet & Bag is known for its vast selection of products and friendly staff.
Saruki Carpets is a family-run carpet store located in the heart of the Istanbul. The shop specializes in traditional Turkish carpets and kilims, including unique and rare antique pieces.
Istanbul Carpet: Besiktas
Istanbul Carpet is a modern carpet store located in Istanbul’s trendy Besiktas neighborhood. The shop offers a wide range of contemporary carpets, including hand-woven Turkish and Persian designs.
How to Choose the Perfect Carpet in Istanbul
Choosing the perfect carpet in Istanbul can be overwhelming with so many options available. Here are some tips to help you make the right decision:
- Consider the Size: Decide where you want to place the carpet and measure the area to determine the size of the carpet you need.
- Determine Your Budget: Decide how much you are willing to spend before you start shopping.
- Examine the Materials: Look for carpets made with high-quality materials such as wool, silk, and cotton.
- Check the Craftsmanship: Inspect the carpet for any flaws or imperfections. Handmade carpets may have minor variations, but they should not have any major defects.
- Look for Unique Designs: Choose a carpet with a unique and eye-catching design that will add character to your home.
Read Also: How to Buy Spices in Istanbul
Silk Carpets in Istanbul
Silk carpets are a luxurious option for those looking to invest in a high-quality carpet. Istanbul has a wide range of silk carpets available in traditional and modern designs. When shopping for silk carpets, make sure to choose a reputable dealer and examine the carpet carefully to ensure it is genuine silk.
How to Transport a Carpet on an Airplane
Transporting a carpet on an airplane can be a challenge, but it is possible with the right preparation. Here are some tips to help you transport your carpet safely:
- Roll the Carpet: Roll the carpet tightly and secure it with packing tape or a strap to keep it in place.
- Protect the Carpet: Wrap the carpet in bubble wrap or a protective covering to prevent any damage during transport.
- Check with the Airline: Check with your airline to determine their policy on transporting carpets. Some airlines may require additional fees or special arrangements.
- Ship the Carpet: If transporting the carpet on an airplane is not feasible, consider shipping it to your destination using a reliable carrier. Make sure to purchase insurance for the carpet in case of any damage during transport.
By following these tips, you can safely transport your carpet from Istanbul and enjoy it in your home for years to come.
Istanbul is a treasure trove for anyone looking to buy a unique and beautiful carpet. Whether you’re interested in traditional Turkish designs or modern, contemporary styles, there’s a carpet store in Istanbul that has exactly what you’re looking for. With this guide, you can explore the best places to buy carpets in Istanbul and find the perfect rug to bring back home with you.
Carpets in Istanbul: FAQ
What types of carpets can I find in Istanbul?
Istanbul is known for its wide variety of carpets, ranging from traditional Turkish designs like Kilim, Ottoman, and Suzani patterns, to modern, contemporary styles. You can find handmade carpets and kilims in a range of materials, including wool, silk, and cotton.
What should I look for when buying a carpet in Istanbul?
When buying a carpet in Istanbul, it’s essential to consider the quality of the materials used, the craftsmanship, and the design. Look for handmade carpets that feature unique and intricate designs, and make sure to ask about the materials used in the weaving process.
How much should I expect to pay for a carpet in Istanbul?
The price of a carpet in Istanbul can vary widely depending on the size, quality, and materials used. Handmade carpets and kilims can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand, so it’s essential to set a budget before you start shopping.
You Might Be Interested in
- Ataturk Museum: Entrance Fee, Opening Hours, Collections (2023)
- Behold the Sapphire Tower Istanbul: Your Ultimate Guide for Visiting in 2023
- Beylerbeyi Palace: Opening Hours, Entry Fee, Things to See and Location (2023)
- Blue Mosque: Opening Hours and Tips for Visiting in Istanbul (2023)
- Camlica Hill and Camlica Tower: Entry Fee, Things to Do, Opening Hours and Tips for Visiting (2023)
- Discover the Best of Taksim: A Complete Guide to Things to Do and See in Istanbul Vibrant District
- Discover the Top 17 Free Museums and Galleries in Istanbul
- Discovering Samatya: A Hidden Gem in Istanbul
- Dolmabahçe Palace: Unveiling the Opulence of Ottoman Sultans (2023)
- Explore Moda (Kadikoy) (Top Things to Do and See, Dine, Stay, How to Get?)