Welcome to Istanbul, the enchanting city where East meets West. As you traverse this bustling metropolis, you’ll encounter a diverse transportation network that eases the lives of millions of residents and visitors. One of the most efficient and widely used public transport options is the metrobus, a system designed to connect the farthest corners of the city seamlessly. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into everything you need to know about the metrobus in Istanbul, from its history, lines, and stops to fares, transfers, and helpful tips for tourists.
What is Metrobus?
Metrobus is a bus rapid transit system that started operating in Istanbul in 2007. It is a unique transportation option that utilizes dedicated lanes to avoid traffic jams and ensure timely arrivals. Metrobus stretches from Beylikdüzü in the European side of Istanbul to Söğütlüçeşme on the Anatolian side, covering a total of 44 stops across 10 lines.
Roaming Revelations: Tours within Public Transport to Unveil City Wonders
Embark on enthralling tours that masterfully employ public transport to unveil the city’s many marvels. Immerse yourself in the rhythm of local life, effortlessly traversing between landmarks and uncovering hidden gems, all while sidestepping traffic and embracing the adventure.
Why MetroBus: No Traffic Jams and Many Destinations
The key advantage of using the metrobus in Istanbul is its efficiency in bypassing heavy traffic. With its dedicated lanes, the metrobus allows you to travel across the city with ease, avoiding the frustration of being stuck in gridlock. Furthermore, it connects many neighborhoods and attractions, making it an ideal option for locals and tourists alike.
More about traffic jams in Istanbul >>
How to Use MetroBus
To use the metrobus, you’ll first need to obtain an Istanbul Card (Istanbulkart) from a kiosk or booth near any metro, tram, or bus station. You can then top up your card with a minimum of 15 TL. The Istanbul Card can be used on all public transport in the city, including buses, trams, and ferries.
Prices: Metrobus Fares
The metrobus fares in Istanbul are calculated based on the number of stops traveled. The following is the breakdown of fares:
- One stop: 7.09 TL
- Two stops: 8.48 TL
- Three stops: 9.90 TL
- 4-9 stops: 11.31 TL
- 10-15 stops: 12.43 TL
- 16-21 stops: 13.00 TL
- 22-27 stops: 13.43 TL
- 28-33 stops: 13.72 TL
- 34+ stops: 14.69 TL
Please note that the system will initially charge you 14.69 TL, but you can return the excess fare at the designated machines after your journey.
Metrobus Istanbul Schematic Map
Metrobus Istanbul Google Map
Metrobus Lines and Timetables
There are ten metrobus lines in total, operated by IETT. The metrobus lines are as follows:
- 34 (Avcilar – Zincirlikuyu)
- 34A (Cevizlibağ – Söğütlüçeşme)
- 34AS (Avcilar – Söğütlüçeşme)
- 34B (Beylikdüzü – Avcılar)
- 34BZ (Beylikdüzü – Zincirlikuyu)
- 34C (Beylikdüzü – Cevizlibağ)
- 34G (Beylikdüzü – Söğütlüçeşme)
- 34T (Avcilar – Topkapi)
- 34Z (Zincirlikuyu – Söğütlüçeşme)
- 34U (Uzunçayır – Zincirlikuyu)
During peak hours, you can expect a metrobus to arrive every 1-2 minutes. In the late-night hours, the 34G line operates with departures every 10-15 minutes.
Metrobus Stops and Transfers
The metrobus system has 44 stops in total, with 7 on the Anatolian side and 37 on the European side. Some of the major stops on the European side include Avcilar, Beylikdüzü, Topkapi, Cevizlibağ, Zincirlikuyu, and Mecidiyeköy. On the Anatolian side, the prominent stops include Uzunçayır, Acıbadem, Altunizade, and Söğütlüçeşme.
Many metrobus stops offer convenient transfer options to other modes of public transportation such as the metro, tram, and ferries. Here are some important transfer points:
- Avcilar: Connects to the M3 metro line and several bus routes.
- Zincirlikuyu: Offers connections to the M2 metro line and various bus routes.
- Mecidiyeköy: Connects to the M2 and M7 metro lines, as well as several bus routes.
- Cevizlibağ: Offers connections to the T1 tram line and multiple bus routes.
- Söğütlüçeşme: Connects to the Marmaray and metro lines, as well as various bus routes
The metrobus system is designed to accommodate passengers with disabilities, with features like low-floor buses, wheelchair ramps, and audio-visual announcements. All metrobus stations are equipped with elevators, tactile paving, and accessible ticketing machines, ensuring a smooth journey for everyone.
More about accessibility of public transportation in Istanbul for people with disabilities >>
Tips for Metrobus Travelers
- Avoid peak hours: If possible, try to avoid traveling during peak hours (7-9 AM and 5-8 PM) as the metrobus can get quite crowded.
- Always keep your Istanbul Card topped up: Make sure you have enough balance on your card to avoid delays or inconvenience.
- Pay attention to the announcements: Stay aware of upcoming stops and transfer points through the audio-visual announcements.
- Keep your belongings secure: As in any public transportation system, it’s important to be cautious and keep an eye on your belongings.
- Plan your route in advance: Familiarize yourself with the metrobus lines and stops to ensure a smooth journey. Mobile apps like Moovit and Trafi can help you navigate Istanbul’s public transportation system.
The metrobus system is an integral part of Istanbul’s public transportation network, offering fast, reliable, and cost-effective travel throughout the city. By familiarizing yourself with the lines, stops, fares, and accessibility features, you’ll be well-equipped to make the most of your time in Istanbul. So grab your Istanbul Card, hop on a metrobus, and enjoy the magic of this incredible city!
You Might Be Interested in
- Ataturk Museum: Entrance Fee, Opening Hours, Collections (2023)
- Behold the Sapphire Tower Istanbul: Your Ultimate Guide for Visiting in 2023
- Beylerbeyi Palace: Opening Hours, Entry Fee, Things to See and Location (2023)
- Blue Mosque: Opening Hours and Tips for Visiting in Istanbul (2023)
- Camlica Hill and Camlica Tower: Entry Fee, Things to Do, Opening Hours and Tips for Visiting (2023)
- Discover the Best of Taksim: A Complete Guide to Things to Do and See in Istanbul Vibrant District
- Discover the Top 17 Free Museums and Galleries in Istanbul
- Discovering Samatya: A Hidden Gem in Istanbul
- Dolmabahçe Palace: Unveiling the Opulence of Ottoman Sultans (2023)
- Explore Moda (Kadikoy) (Top Things to Do and See, Dine, Stay, How to Get?)