If you’re planning to visit Istanbul or just passing through, you’ll likely be flying into the city’s newest airport, the Istanbul Airport (IST). With its impressive size and modern design, it’s a landmark that has quickly become a hub for international travelers. However, navigating such a large airport can be daunting, especially if you’re not familiar with the layout. That’s where this guide comes in handy! In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at the maps, transportation, and terminals of the new Istanbul Airport, so you can arrive, transfer, or depart with confidence.
Overview of Istanbul Airport and Its Location
The Istanbul Airport is a state-of-the-art airport that was opened in 2018. It is located on the European side of Istanbul, near the Black Sea coast. The airport covers an area of 76.5 million square meters, making it one of the largest airports in the world. The airport has a capacity of 200 million passengers per year, making it one of the busiest airports in the world.
The Istanbul Airport is located approximately 35 kilometers from the city center. The surrounding neighborhoods include Arnavutkoy, Catalca, and Eyup. Popular tourist spots such as the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, and the Grand Bazaar are located within 40 kilometers of the airport.
Istanbul Airport Maps: General, Transportation, and Terminals
The best way to navigate the Istanbul Airport is by using the interactive map. The map provides a detailed view of the airport, including all the terminals, gates, and amenities.
At the Istanbul Airport, you can easily find everything you need within each terminal. The interactive map allows you to choose the zone you’re interested in and locate shops, cafes, and even restrooms. The terminals are equipped with a wide range of amenities, including lounges, duty-free shops, and dining options. The Interactive Map also provides an overview of the airport, including the location of each terminal, parking areas, and transportation options.
New Istanbul Airport (IST) Google Map
Transportation Map Istanbul Airport IST
The Transportation Map shows the various modes of transportation available to and from the airport, including the metro, taxi, bus, and car rental.
If you’re interested in learning more about transportation options to get to Istanbul Airport, be sure to check out our guide. You’ll find useful information about the different modes of transportation available, including the metro, taxi, bus, and car rental, as well as tips on how to choose the best option for your needs.
Metro Transportation map of Istanbul Airport IST
The Istanbul Airport can be accessed via metro, which is a fast and convenient way to get to and from the city center. The M11 metro line connects the airport to the city’s metro network, making it easy to reach destinations across Istanbul. The metro station is located on the lower level of the airport terminal, and trains run every 5-10 minutes. The journey to the city center takes approximately 30-40 minutes, depending on your destination. The metro is a great option for travelers who want to avoid traffic and save money on transportation.
Transportation map of Istanbul Airport IST for cars
If you’re planning to rent a car during your stay, you’ll find a variety of car rental companies available at the airport, including both international chains and local businesses. Many of these rental companies are open 24 hours a day, and their offices can be found in the arrivals hall across from meeting point 3 or exit door 9.
The Istanbul Airport is located at exit K7 on the O-7 / Otoyol 7 (English: Motorway-7), also known as the Kuzey Marmara Otoyolu (Northern Marmara Highway). It typically takes about an hour to travel to one of the European side districts from the airport.
If you’re traveling to Turkey, you can use Google Maps: for navigation, including turn-by-turn directions just like a GPS device. The app works well in Turkey and can help you navigate to your destination, including the Istanbul Airport. However, be sure to download the necessary maps and data ahead of time to avoid using data or getting lost in areas with poor reception.
Terminal map in New Istanbul Airport (IST)
As of the writing of this guide, there is only one terminal at Istanbul Airport by now. However, there is no rail or bus transfer system in place yet, so you would walk everywhere. It can take quite a while to walk between gates, especially if they are at opposite ends of the large terminal with their long concourses, so be sure to allocate sufficient time for connections. Estimated times to walk from the central terminal area to the furthest gates at the end of each concourse (gates A11, B15, D17, F16, and G11) are around 15-20 minutes.
The Istanbul Airport offers a buggy service for those who need assistance getting around the terminal. The service is priced at 5,93 EUR, but is free for iGA pass members, expectant mothers, families with children aged between 0-2 years old, and those over 65 years of age. There are four buggy stations, three in the International departures area of the terminal and one in the domestic section. The locations are as follows:
- Western Buggy Station (international departures area): located across from gate C1
- Northern Buggy Station (international departures area): located after the stairs leading down to the D gates
- Eastern Buggy Station (international departures area): located across from gate E1
- Domestic Buggy Station: located across from the stairs leading down to domestic departures
For transfer passengers who are required to re-clear security and whose connection time is less than 60 minutes, there are Short Connection areas in each concourse which avoid the need to traverse the length of the concourse to the central transfer hall. The locations are as follows:
- Concourse A: Mid-concourse, opposite gate A5
- Concourse B: Opposite gate B8
- Concourse D: At the very far end of the concourse, near gate D16
- Concourse F: Opposite gate F8
Terminal Details: International vs. Domestic Flights Airport Istanbul
International fights in Airport Istanbul (IST)
IST has one terminal divided into five concourses (A, B, D, F, and G). Due to the long distances between concourses and possible security checks, the minimum connection time (MCT) is 75 minutes. The central area contains the check-in counters, security checkpoints, and baggage claim, and each concourse extends out from this area. The C and E gates do not qualify as independent concourses because they connect directly to the main terminal.
Domestic Flights in Airport Istanbul (IST)
Use entrance doors No. 1 and 2 at the departures level for domestic flights. Check-in for domestic flights is available at check-in counters in aisle D or self-check-in kiosks in aisle E. Upon completing procedures, all passengers need to pass through the security check opposite aisle D. Priority lanes and direct access to the Turkish Airlines Domestic Lounge are available to those with the appropriate ticket or status.
For international flights, Turkish Airlines international economy class passengers can enter check-in areas using entrance doors No. 3 and 4 at the departures level. Check-in procedures can be completed at aisles F, G, H, and J. International business class and Star Alliance Gold card passengers should use entrance door No. 5.
Special check-in counters are available in the following aisles:
- Aisle E for self-check-in kiosks
- Aisle G for passengers with disabilities and those traveling in large groups
- Aisle H for family check-in counters and for unaccompanied minors
- Aisle K for flights subject to special security (US, UK, and Canada)
- Aisle L for Turkish Airlines business class and Star Alliance Gold card passengers
- Aisles A to C and M to S for all other carriers (non-Turkish Airlines flights)
Upon completing check-in, to reach the gates, all passengers need to pass through the security check opposite aisles G, H, J, and K.
Frequently Asked Questions About Istanbul Airport
- How many terminals are there at Istanbul Airport?
- There are one terminal at Istanbul Airport.
- Is Istanbul Airport easy to get around?
- Yes, the airport is easy to navigate thanks to its clear signage and information desks located throughout the terminals.
- Is a 2-hour layover enough in Istanbul Airport?
- Yes. The minimum connection time (MCT) at Istanbul Airport is 75 minutes, but due to the size of the airport and the long distances between concourses, it’s a good idea to allow for extra time to get to your gate. In general, most passengers should allow at least two hours to get through the airport.
- How long does it take to get through Istanbul Airport?
- It depends on a variety of factors, including the time of day and the number of passengers. However, most passengers should allow at least two hours to get through the airport.
- Which is International Airport T1 or T2?
- As of the writing of this guide, there is only one terminal at Istanbul Airport.
The new Istanbul Airport is an impressive and modern hub for international travel, but its size can be overwhelming for first-time visitors. With this comprehensive guide to the maps, transportation, and terminals, you’ll be able to navigate the airport with ease and confidence. Whether you’re arriving, departing, or transferring through Istanbul Airport, the interactive map and detailed descriptions of each terminal will help you make the most of your time in this world-class airport.