Are you a coffee lover looking for a unique and flavorful experience? Look no further than Turkish coffee, a rich and aromatic beverage steeped in history and culture. As a local of Istanbul, I’m excited to share my knowledge of Turkish coffee with you and guide you through the process of making this delicious drink from the comfort of your home.
What is Turkish Coffee?
Turkish coffee is a traditional coffee drink enjoyed in Turkey and other parts of the Middle East, made by brewing finely ground coffee beans in a cezve, a small copper or brass pot. It’s known for its strong, bold flavor, and is typically served in small, handleless cups with a side of Turkish delight.
Turkish coffee history and culture
Turkish coffee has a rich history dating back to the Ottoman Empire, where it was a staple in social gatherings and a symbol of hospitality. Today, it’s still an important part of Turkish culture and is often served in homes and coffee shops throughout the country.
Why is Turkish coffee unique?
Turkish coffee is unique because of its brewing process, which involves boiling the coffee rather than filtering it. This method results in a thick, frothy layer of crema on top of the coffee, known as telve. The telve is often used for fortune-telling, adding an extra element of fun and intrigue to the drinking experience.
Benefits of making Turkish coffee
Making Turkish coffee at home is not only a fun and unique experience, but it also allows you to control the quality of the ingredients and make adjustments to fit your personal preferences. Plus, it’s a great way to impress guests and share a piece of Turkish culture with them.
How to make Turkish coffee at home
To make Turkish coffee at home, you’ll need:
- Finely ground coffee beans (look for a “Turkish” or “espresso” grind)
- Cold water
- Sugar (optional)
Preparing the equipment: What else do you need to make Turkish Coffee?
In addition to the ingredients, you’ll need a cezve (a small copper or brass pot), a heat source (such as a stove or hot plate), and a small spoon for stirring.
Steps to make Turkish coffee
- Add cold water to the cezve, filling it about 2/3 of the way full.
- Add one teaspoon of coffee per serving to the cezve.
- Add sugar to taste (optional).
- Stir the mixture gently to combine the ingredients.
- Place the cezve on the heat source and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the coffee starts to foam and rise to the top.
- Once the foam reaches the top of the cezve, remove it from the heat and let it sit for a minute to allow the foam to settle.
- Return the cezve to the heat source and repeat the previous step 2-3 times, until the coffee is heated through and the foam is thick and creamy.
Tips for making the perfect cup of Turkish coffee
- Use high-quality, freshly roasted coffee beans for the best flavor.
- Use cold water, as hot water can result in a bitter taste.
- Don’t stir the coffee too vigorously, as this can break the foam and result in a less creamy texture.
- Experiment with the amount of coffee, sugar, and water to find your perfect balance of flavors.
How to drink Turkish coffee
Turkish coffee is typically served in small, handleless cups accompanied by a piece of Turkish delight. Here are some tips for enjoying your Turkish coffee:
How to drink Turkish coffee with Turkish delight
Take a small bite of Turkish delight, then take a sip of coffee to enjoy the complementary flavors.
How to drink Turkish coffee with water
Turkish coffee is often served with a glass of water to cleanse the palate between sips.
Do you drink the bottom of Turkish coffee?
Traditionally, the coffee grounds settle to the bottom of the cup and are not consumed. However, some people choose to drink them for a stronger flavor.
Why is Turkish coffee served with water?
The water is meant to cleanse the palate between sips and enhance the flavors of the coffee.
Turkish coffee and Turkish delight
Turkish delight is a sweet, chewy confection made with sugar, cornstarch, and flavorings like rosewater or pistachio. It’s the perfect pairing for Turkish coffee, providing a sweet contrast to the strong, bitter flavors.
Best places to find Turkish coffee in Istanbul
Istanbul is home to countless coffee shops, cafes, and street vendors serving traditional Turkish coffee. Here are some of the best places to find Turkish coffee in Istanbul:
Best coffee shops and cafes
- Mandabatmaz: a cozy cafe in the Beyoğlu neighborhood known for its rich and delicious Turkish coffee.
- Fazil Bey: a historic coffee shop in the Kadikoy neighborhood serving some of the best Turkish coffee in the city.
- Osmanlizade Kahvecisi: a traditional coffee shop in the Fatih district with a wide selection of Turkish coffee blends.
Best restaurants serving Turkish coffee
- Hafiz Mustafa: a popular dessert shop with several locations throughout the city, known for its delicious Turkish coffee and homemade Turkish delight.
- Ciya Sofrasi: a restaurant in the Kadikoy neighborhood serving traditional Turkish dishes and some of the best Turkish coffee in the city.
If you’re looking to taste the best Turkish coffee Istanbul has to offer, check out our article “10 Best Places to Taste Turkish Coffee in Istanbul”. We’ve rounded up the top coffee shops, cafes, and markets serving traditional Turkish coffee, so you can experience the rich flavors and culture of this delicious beverage. From cozy cafes in the Besiktas neighborhood to historic coffee shops in Kadikoy, there’s something for everyone on this list. Happy sipping!
Best street vendors and markets selling Turkish coffee
- Spice Bazaar: a historic market in the Eminonu neighborhood with dozens of vendors selling traditional Turkish coffee blends.
- Grand Bazaar: a massive indoor market in the Beyazit neighborhood with hundreds of vendors selling everything from Turkish coffee to spices to textiles.
Where to buy Turkish coffee in Istanbul
- Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi : one of the oldest and most famous Turkish coffee brands, with a flagship store in the Eminonu neighborhood.
- Nuri Toplar : a local coffee roaster with several locations throughout the city, offering a wide selection of high-quality coffee blends.
Turkish coffee sets and machines
If you’re a true coffee enthusiast, you may want to invest in a Turkish coffee set or machine to make brewing Turkish coffee even easier. Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a Turkish coffee set:
What is a Turkish coffee set?
A Turkish coffee set typically includes a cezve, small cups, and a serving tray. Some sets also come with Turkish delight or other accessories.
Different types of Turkish coffee sets
Turkish coffee sets come in a variety of styles and materials, from traditional copper and brass to modern ceramic and glass.
How to choose the best Turkish coffee set for your needs
Consider your budget, personal style, and how often you plan to use the set when choosing the best option for you.
Where to find the best Turkish coffee sets and machines in Istanbul
You can find Turkish coffee sets and machines at local markets and bazaars, as well as online stores like Kahve.com, Hepsiburada and Turkish coffee specialty shops.
I hope this guide has inspired you to try making Turkish coffee at home and explore the rich coffee culture of Istanbul. Whether you’re a seasoned coffee lover or a curious beginner, Turkish coffee is a unique and delicious experience that’s sure to leave a lasting impression. Remember to experiment with different coffee blends and brewing methods to find your perfect cup of Turkish coffee. Happy sipping!