Exploring Istanbul’s vibrant nightlife has never been easier thanks to the city’s extensive and diverse night transportation options. From the 24-hour metro lines to reliable taxi services, getting around Istanbul during the night is both convenient and safe. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover all the night transportation options available in Istanbul, including routes, timetables, fares, and helpful tips to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey.
Read Also: Istanbul at Night: Guide about Things to Do & See in City That Never Sleeps
Discover Night Istanbul with Guided Tours
24-hour Metro Lines: Fast and Efficient Travel
Istanbul’s metro system has made night transportation more accessible with select lines operating 24 hours a day. These uninterrupted services run from 06:00 on Friday morning until 00:00 on Sunday, connecting key areas of the city. The night metro lines include:
- M1A Yenikapi-Ataturk Airport
- M1B Yenikapi-Kirazli
- M2 Yenikapi-Haciosman (Not in operation between Sanayi Mahallesi and Seyrantepe Stations)
- M4 Kadikoy-Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- M5 Uskudar-Cekmekoy
- M6 Levent-Bogazici University/Hisarustu
- M7 Mecidiyeköy-Mahmutbey
During night operation hours, a double fare tariff is applied, meaning that the fare is doubled when using the turnstiles between 00:30 and 05:30.
Read our full guide how to use Metro in Istanbul >>
Marmaray: Late-Night Weekend Service
Marmaray is a vital transportation option for Istanbulites, providing seamless connectivity across the city. The service begins at 6 am and operates until 22:15 on weekdays (plus an additional 115 minutes to complete the route). On Fridays and weekends, Marmaray extends its service hours, running from 6 am until 1:20 pm (again, plus 115 minutes to reach the end of the line).
This comprehensive transportation line consists of 43 stops, ensuring accessibility to various districts in Istanbul. For more detailed information about Marmaray, including stops, departure times, station names, fares, and a map of the route, please read our guide!
Read our full guide how to use Marmaray in Istanbul >>
Metrobus Lines: Connecting Istanbul’s Districts
The Metrobus system offers a convenient and efficient mode of transportation for Istanbul’s residents and visitors. With several lines operating late into the night and some even running 24 hours, the Metrobus is an excellent option for night transportation. Some of the late-night and 24-hour Metrobus lines include:
- Beylikduzu – Söğütlüçeşme (24-hour service)
- Avcılar-Söğütlüçeşme (until 02:00)
- Beylikdüzü-Zincirlikuyu (until 02:00).
During nighttime hours, the fare structure for Metrobus changes. Regardless of the number of stops you travel, you are required to pay a full fare, which is 14.69 TL, when using the Metrobus at night.
Read our full guide how to use Metrobus in Istanbul >>
Night Buses: A Comprehensive Network of Routes
Istanbul offers an extensive network of night bus lines, connecting various districts throughout the city. With 28 buses running on 12 lines, these services operate 24/7, providing a reliable and affordable mode of transportation during the night. Some of the night bus lines include:
- H-1 Mahmutbey Metro – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- H-2 Mecidiyeköy – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- H-6 Mescid-i Selam/Arnavutköy – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- H-7 Alibeyköy Cep Otogarı – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-1 Yenikapı – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-2 Beylikdüzü/Çatalca – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-3 Otogar – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-4 Bakirkoy – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-5 Besiktas – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-7 Kadikoy – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-8 Pendik – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-15 Avcılar Metrobüs/Bahçeşehir – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-17 Halkali Istasyon/Başakşehir Metrokent – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-19 Taksim – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- İST-20 Sultanahmet – New Istanbul Airport (IST)
- E-10 Kadıköy – Kurtköy – Sabiha Gökçen Airport
- E-11 Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) – Kadıköy
- SG-1 Kadıköy – Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW)
- SG-2 Taksim – Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW)
- E-3 Levent Metro – Sabiha Gökçen Airport
Other Public Bus lines + Integrations with Metro and Metrobus
- 11ÜS Sultanbeyli – Uskudar (M5 Metro line)
- 130A Tuzla – Kadikoy (M4 Metro Line)
- 15F Beykoz – Kadikoy (M4 Metro Line)
- 25G Sariyer – Taksim (M2 Metro Line)
- 40 Rumelifeneri/Garipce – Taksim (M2 Metro Line)
- 89C Başakşehir – Taksim
- 17 Pendik – Kadıköy
Read our full guide how to use buses in Istanbul >>
Ferry at Night in Istanbul
Ferries are an essential part of Istanbul’s public transportation system, offering an enjoyable way to travel between different parts of the city while taking in the stunning views of the Bosphorus. During nighttime hours, Istanbul City Lines provides various ferry services to ensure continued connectivity between the city’s districts.
There is also Moonlight Cruise by Public ferries in Istanbul at summer. Read more…
City Lines at Night in Istanbul
City Lines operates several nighttime ferry routes to accommodate the transportation needs of Istanbul’s residents and visitors. Some of the popular nighttime routes include:
- Kadıköy – Karaköy – Beşiktaş: This line offers eight nighttime services, allowing passengers to travel between these districts at night.
- Kadıköy – Karaköy – Eminönü: This route features four nighttime services, providing additional connectivity between these districts (until 01:00)
City Lines Night Cruises
In addition to the regular ferry services, City Lines also offers night cruises on select routes:
- Kabataş – Islands line: This service operates once at night, with departure times at 00:30 from Kınalıada, 00:45 from Burgazada, 01:00 from Heybeliada, and 01:15 from Büyükada. This service is available on both weekdays and weekends.
- Bostancı – Adalar ring line: This nighttime cruise operates once, with the last departure from Bostancı at 00:00. The ferry then departs at 00:35 from Büyükada, 00:50 from Heybeliada, 01:05 from Burgazada, and 01:20 from Kınalıada.
Read also: 28 Top Things to Do on Princess Islands: Ideas for a Day Trip from Istanbul
City Lines Night Flight Fare Schedule
For night flights operated by City Lines between 00:30-05:30, fares are charged at twice the normal rate. This increase in fare reflects the additional operational costs associated with running services during off-peak hours.
Read our full guide how to use Ferries in Istanbul >>
In conclusion, Istanbul offers a wide range of safe and convenient night transportation options that cater to the needs of residents and visitors alike. Whether you’re exploring the city’s vibrant nightlife or commuting to work, you can rely on the reliable and efficient services provided by the city’s transportation providers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What night transportation options are available in Istanbul?
Istanbul offers a wide range of night transportation options, including 24-hour metro lines, Marmaray, Metrobus, night buses, ferries, and City Lines night cruises.
Are night transportation services safe in Istanbul?
Yes, night transportation services in Istanbul are generally safe. However, as with any major city, it is recommended that you take the necessary precautions to ensure your safety.
How much does it cost to use night transportation in Istanbul?
The cost of using night transportation in Istanbul varies depending on the mode of transportation and the distance traveled. During night operation hours, a double fare tariff is applied on the 24-hour metro lines, and a full fare is charged on Metrobus. Fares for night buses and ferries are the same as during the day, while City Lines charges twice the normal rate for night flights.
What are the operating hours for night transportation services in Istanbul?
The operating hours for night transportation services in Istanbul vary depending on the mode of transportation. Some services, such as the 24-hour metro lines and some Metrobus lines, operate 24/7, while others have limited operating hours. It is recommended to check the schedules and timetables of each service before planning your journey.
How can I plan my journey using night transportation in Istanbul?
To plan your journey using night transportation in Istanbul, you can use various online resources, including the official websites of the transportation providers and mobile apps. You can also ask for assistance from the staff at the stations, who can provide you with information on routes, schedules, and fares.
You Might Be Interested in
- Ataturk Museum: Entrance Fee, Opening Hours, Collections (2023)
- Behold the Sapphire Tower Istanbul: Your Ultimate Guide for Visiting in 2023
- Beylerbeyi Palace: Opening Hours, Entry Fee, Things to See and Location (2023)
- Blue Mosque: Opening Hours and Tips for Visiting in Istanbul (2023)
- Camlica Hill and Camlica Tower: Entry Fee, Things to Do, Opening Hours and Tips for Visiting (2023)
- Discover the Best of Taksim: A Complete Guide to Things to Do and See in Istanbul Vibrant District
- Discover the Top 17 Free Museums and Galleries in Istanbul
- Discovering Samatya: A Hidden Gem in Istanbul
- Dolmabahçe Palace: Unveiling the Opulence of Ottoman Sultans (2023)
- Explore Moda (Kadikoy) (Top Things to Do and See, Dine, Stay, How to Get?)