Traveling to Turkey is an exciting adventure, but ensuring you have the right travel insurance is crucial. Mishaps, delays, and unexpected accidents can happen at any time while you’re abroad, and having travel insurance provides you with peace of mind and necessary coverage in case of emergencies. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the costs, requirements, and the best options for travel insurance in Turkey, focusing on medical insurance for travel to Turkey.
Is Travel Insurance Required for a Turkey Visa?
When planning your trip to Turkey, one of the essential considerations is obtaining the right travel insurance. Turkey travel insurance is not only a smart idea; it’s often a requirement for many travelers, particularly those who need a Turkish visa. However, even if you don’t require a visa, having insurance for travel to Turkey is a wise choice. In this guide, we’ll cover the following:
Requirements for Travel Insurance in Turkey
If you need a visa to enter Turkey, obtaining travel insurance for Turkey is mandatory. Here’s a list of countries whose passport holders require a visa to enter Turkey:
THESE COUNTRIES NEED A VISA
Afghanistan Algeria Angola Antigua and Barbuda Armenia Australia Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Benin Bhutan Botswana Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Central African Republic Chad China Comoros Cote d’Ivoire Cuba Cyprus Democratic Republic of the Congo Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic East Timor Egypt Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Ethiopia Fiji Gabon Gambia Ghana Grenada Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti India Indonesia Iraq Jamaica Kenya Kiribati Laos Lesotho Liberia Libya Madagascar Malawi Maldives Mali Marshall Islands Mauritania Mauritius Mexico Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Niger Nigeria North Korea Northern Mariana Islands Oman Pakistan Palau Republic Palestine Papua New Guinea Philippines Republic of the Congo Rwanda Saint Lucia Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Sierra Leone Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Sudan Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Syria Taiwan Tanzania Togo Tonga Tuvalu Uganda United Arab Emirates United States of America Vanuatu Vietnam Western Samoa Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
Even if your country is not on this list, it’s highly recommended to purchase health insurance for Turkey travel to ensure you’re covered for any medical expenses. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) does not work in Turkey, and health insurance from other countries also doesn’t apply.
Travel Insurance for Turkey Visa Requirements
The primary requirement for Turkey visa travel insurance is that it must cover travelers for the entire duration of their stay in Turkey.
While the most critical coverage is for medical expenses, you can also opt for a Turkish travel insurance plan that includes coverage for trip cancellation and baggage loss. Additionally, given the current circumstances, it’s advisable to choose a travel insurance plan that includes COVID-19 coverage. Most travel insurance plans now offer some level of coronavirus coverage.
Best Travel Insurance to Turkey
When it comes to securing the best travel insurance for your journey to Turkey, peace of mind is invaluable. You want coverage that’s not only comprehensive but also hassle-free. That’s where EKTA’s Travelers Health Insurance for Worldwide Travel shines.
Why Choose EKTA’s Travelers Health Insurance for Turkey?
- Covers COVID-19: In these uncertain times, having travel insurance that covers COVID-19 is essential. EKTA’s policy ensures you’re protected in case of any unexpected health issues, so you can enjoy your trip with confidence.
- Suitable for Visa Processing: If you need travel insurance to meet visa requirements, EKTA’s policy is the right choice. It meets the criteria for visa processing, making your application process smoother.
- Available to Citizens of All Countries: EKTA’s Travelers Health Insurance is open to travelers from all corners of the globe. It doesn’t matter where you’re from; you can easily obtain coverage for your trip to Turkey.
- Fast and Flexible: We understand that you don’t want to spend hours dealing with insurance details when you’re on vacation. EKTA’s policy is designed to be fast and flexible. Get your insurance online quickly and easily, so you can focus on enjoying your holiday.
- 24/7 Customer Support: Travel can be unpredictable, and questions or issues can arise at any time. With EKTA, you have access to round-the-clock customer support. Whether it’s a question or an emergency, help is just a call away.
- Transparent and Trustworthy: We believe in transparency. EKTA’s policy has no hidden clauses or restrictions buried in the contract. What you see is what you get, ensuring a straightforward and fair insurance experience.
- 10 Years of Experience: With a decade of experience in the insurance industry, EKTA understands the needs of travelers. Our policy is tailored to provide the best coverage and support based on real-world experiences.
- No Hidden Restrictions in Medical Services: When it comes to your health, you deserve the best care. EKTA’s policy ensures there are no hidden restrictions in medical services. You can seek the necessary care without any unexpected surprises.
How Much Is Travel Insurance to Turkey (Costs)?
The cost of travel insurance for Turkey can vary based on factors such as your age, nationality, the length of your trip, and the coverage options you choose. On average, travel insurance for a US citizen visiting Turkey can range from $50 to $200 for a week-long trip, which is approximately 5% to 8% of the trip cost.
Here’s an overview of the cost of different types of travel insurance in Turkey:
- Basic Coverage: Starting at $0.99 per day with a 25% deductible. This means that if you incur a medical expense of $1,000, you would pay $250, and the insurance company would cover $750.
- Coverage for Extreme Sports: From $5.25 per day.
- Full Coverage: Available for $17.90 per day.
Do I Need Travel Insurance for Istanbul?
Travel insurance for Turkey, including Istanbul, is highly recommended, especially if you need a Turkish visa. Even if you don’t require a visa, it’s wise to have travel health insurance coverage for peace of mind during your trip. Turkey is generally a safe country with delicious cuisine and a low rate of criminal cases.
Is Istanbul Considered Europe for Travel Insurance?
Istanbul is a unique city that straddles both Europe and Asia. While 95% of Turkey is in Asia, Istanbul’s western part remains in Europe. However, many insurance companies do not include Istanbul in their European cover. Therefore, it’s crucial to clarify with your insurance provider whether your coverage extends to Istanbul.
Is It Okay to Travel to Turkey Without Insurance?
For your health and safety, it’s strongly recommended to have health travel insurance when visiting Turkey. While Turkey is generally safe, unexpected medical expenses can be costly, and it’s better to be prepared.
What Does Travel Insurance Cover in Turkey?
Travel insurance typically covers various categories, including:
- Trip Cancellation or Interruption: Reimburses non-refundable trip expenses if you have to cancel or interrupt your trip due to covered reasons.
- Baggage and Personal Effects: Covers lost, stolen, or damaged luggage and personal belongings.
- Rental Property and Rental Car: Provides coverage for rental property damage and rental car accidents.
- Medical Coverage: Covers medical expenses, including emergency medical treatment and hospitalization.
- Accidental Death: Provides a benefit to the beneficiary in the event of the insured’s accidental death.
What Is the Travel Tax in Turkey?
As of January 1, 2023, Turkey has implemented a new tourist accommodation tax. This tax, which is charged to hoteliers, amounts to 2% of the amount received for accommodating guests.
In conclusion, travel insurance is a crucial aspect of planning your trip to Turkey, whether you need it for visa requirements or for your peace of mind. It ensures you’re covered in case of unexpected events and allows you to enjoy your journey with confidence. Make sure to choose a travel insurance plan that suits your needs, and don’t forget to verify the coverage for Istanbul if you plan to visit this remarkable transcontinental city. Safe travels!
You Might Be Interested in
- 24-hour Public Transport in Istanbul: Night Metro, City Buses, Marmaray, and Metrobus (2023)
- Accessible Transportation for People with Disabilities in Istanbul: Transfers, Ferries, Buses, Metro, Trams (2023)
- Cable Cars in Istanbul: Eyup and Macka, Routes, Schedule and Price (2023)
- Enjoy the City by Public Transportation: Tram, Ferry, and Metro Routes for Every Tourist
- Ferries in Istanbul: Piers, Routes, Schedule, Map & Fare (Summer 2023)
- HAVAIST New Istanbul Airport Shuttles/Buses (Routes, Ticket Price Today, 2023)
- How to Get from Asian Side to European in Istanbul: Ferry, Bus, Marmaray (2023)
- How to Get from European Side to Asian in Istanbul by Ferry, Bus & Marmaray (2023)
- How to Get from New Istanbul Airport (IST) to Bakirkoy and Back: Shuttle, Bus, Metro and Transfer (2023)
- How to Get to Princes’ Islands from Istanbul and Back: Full Ferries Guide with Fares, Stations, and Schedule (2023)